Sacred Heart-Immaculate Conception Church
Father Jay Atherton
PO Box 379 Haines Falls, NY 12436

Twenty First Sunday in Ordinary Time - August 24, 2014

Immaculate Conception Church
67 North Lake Road
Haines Falls, NY 12436

History: At the beginning of the twentieth century, the tourist trade within the parish had become immense in the Haines Falls area, with the Catskill Mountain House, the Laurel House, Hotel Kaaterskill, the Lox-Hurst, Haines Falls House and dozens of other smaller hotels, boarding houses, as well as the flourishing private resorts known as Twilight and Sunset Parks. for a short time in 1905 and 1906, Father Keefe celebrated Mass at the Antlers Hotel on Mountain House Road in Haines Falls, but in 1906, he purchased the Levi Haines property and began construction of a new church. The Hunter Review of July 12, 1907 published a lengthy description of the building and the ceremonies as Father Keefe celebrated the first Mass in the Roman Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception on Sunday, July 6, 1907. According to a small brochure put out by Father Keefe in 1906, the entire projected cost for the new church was $5000. Shortly after the completion of the new church, the pastor transferred his residence from Hunter to Haines Falls to the former Haines Home, which remains the rectory.  (Exert from: The Legacy "A History of the Church of Saint Mary of the Mountain")


Church of the Sacred Heart
710 Route 32A
Palenville, NY 12463

History: Palenville is a summer resort community at the foot of the Catskill Mountains. While a very old settlement, it never became a large year round community. However, the city dwellers of the New York Metropolis and New Jersey turned out in great number to enjoy its scenic beauty. The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass began to be celebrated here in June of 1921 in the Community Recreation Hall. Father Aloysius o’Malley, O.F.M., was the first priest to service the community, commuting from St. Anthony Seminary, Catskill. After property was acquired in the choice center area of the settlement, a pre-fabricated wooden structure served as the first Church of the Sacred Heart, Diocese of Albany. Due to the ample donations of the George Ehret family and in particular of Mrs. Josephine Ehret Burghard, a new brick building was erected and opened in July, 1923. His Excellence, Bishop Edmund F. Gibbons, D.D., of Albany, dedicated the new church on June 15, 1924. The parish has always been serviced from St. Anthony Seminary, Catskill, until the last Franciscan pastor, Father Bonaventure Bionda. Rev. Anthony Motta became administrator January 1, 2008 and pastor on March 7, 2009. Immaculate Conception, Haines Falls, and Sacred Heart, Palenville merged by July 1, 2009, maintaining two worship sites under the guidance of the same pastor.